Pride Month & Pride Flags - At their meeting on Monday, May 15, the City Council adopted a Resolution declaring June, 2023 as LGBTQIA+ Pride Month in the City of Mill Valley and authorized the display of the Pride Flag on City property. Many thanks to community member Margaret Fischer for her generous donation of the City's Pride Flags this year!
From the Resolution: “The City of Mill Valley has a diverse Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex, Asexual and more (LGBTQIA+) community, whom we honor and celebrate in the month of June, 2023 for Pride Month… The Pride Flag represents a commitment to honoring the identities, experiences, and contributions of the LGBTQIA+ community and its continuing struggle for social, political and economic equality. The prominent display of the Pride Flag demonstrates that the City of Mill Valley stands firmly for equality and inclusion.”
Read the Staff Report and Resolution here.
Pride Events at the City of Mill Valley
- After Hours – Queer Chorus of San Francisco - The Queer Chorus of San Francisco performances entertain, educate and inspire audiences with the spirit of inclusion and harmony. This program revisits the past and looks toward the future through songs and stories covering the chorus’ 40+ year history. Friday, June 2, 2023 from 7:00pm - 9:00pm in the Library Main Reading Room. Learn more and register to attend.
- Drag Queen Story Hour - All ages. An interactive storytime with a fabulous drag queen! Celebrate diversity, kindness, and acceptance through reading and activities. Kids can meet the drag queen, ask questions, and take pictures. Sunday, June 4, 2023 from 11:00am - 12:00pm at the Outdoor Amphitheater. Learn more.
- Understanding Gender and Sexuality - "What's the difference between gender and sexuality?" "How do I know if my kid is gay?" "How can I help support this community?" Attendees of this engaging program can expect to have their questions answered about the difference between gender and sexuality, understanding the spectrum of identity, creating and maintaining safe spaces, and terminology. This program will be good for parents, educators, and those with a general curiosity about gender and sexuality. Monday, June 5, 2023 from 6:00 to 7:00pm in the Creekside Room. Register and learn more.
- Special Pride Wednesday Storytime In-Person - Join Librarian Miranda for books, songs, and stories in the library's outdoor amphitheater. Designed for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers with their caregivers. Wednesday, June 7, 2023 from 10:15 to 10:45am at the Outdoor Amphitheater
- Come As You Are: A Pride Dress Up Day In-Person (For Kids) - We'll read a story then create fun and colorful things to wear. Come in your favorite costume or borrow one of ours. Express yourself, show off your creativity, and have a blast with us this Pride Week! Wednesday, June 7, 2023 at 2:30pm in the Mill Valley Public Library Creekside Room. Learn more and register here.
- Queer Book Club - Looking for a safe space to read and discuss books about the LGBTQIA+ community? You've found us! In this monthly book club we'll read both fiction and nonfiction books about the queer experience, the intersectionality of queerness, class, religion, and race, and discuss the ways in which things have changed, remained the same, or ways we can affect the change we want to see. This month we'll be discussing Friday, I'm in Love by Camryn Garrett on June 7 at 7:00pm online. Register to attend.
- Special Pride: Preschool Storytime - Join us for stories and more for preschoolers age 3-5 and their caregivers. Together we'll read books, listen to stories, and have so much fun! No sign-up necessary. Thursday, June 8, 2023 from 11:15 to 11:45am at the Creekside Room
- Special Pride: Pop-up Storytime in the Parks Boyle - Join us every Friday at Boyle and Hauke Park for Pop-up storytimes in the park! Friday, June 9, 2023 from 10:15 to 10:45am Boyle Park, Hauke Park.
- LGBTQIA+ Stories | Pride Month - Help us fill an important gap in our City’s history. We’re opening our Recording Booth to collect stories from Mill Valley’s LGBTQIA+ community. To participate, email email@example.com
Other Community Events:
Pride Not Prejudice Exhibition Opening Night Artist Reception - June 9, 2023 at 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Sausalito Center For The Arts (SCA) is proud to present Pride Not Prejudice in support of the Sausalito Pride Celebration. Pride Not Prejudice includes Homosocial, a project that celebrates queer culture. Founded in 2022 by artist Brian Van Camerik, Homosocial at its core is a collection of vintage photographs of same gendered couples and queer individuals displaying intimacy. The exhibit is presented in various art forms including photography, reliquaries and film. LGBTQIA+ Art will showcase original work by twenty-eight accomplished LGBTQIA+ California artists. Curated by Charlie Barboni, the show will include two and three dimensional art encompassing all mediums by notable artists including Ajuan Mance, Clark Mitchell, Hunter Harvey, Shae Rocco, Wendy Franklin, Jun Gang, Joseph Abbati and others. Learn more and get tickets.
Gay Pride LGBTQ Sail - Saturday, June 17 · 2:00 - 5:00 pm at the US Army Corps of Engineers Bay Model Visitor Center
Join us on Matthew Turner for an inclusive sail on San Francisco Bay. Learn more and get tickets.
Want to share a Pride Event here? Email us! firstname.lastname@example.org.