Paving Sycamore Avenue will restore the pavement, improve ride quality and enjoyment of the neighborhood.
What is happening:
Work crews will work on Sycamore Avenue in two stages. The road will be fully closed while each stage is being worked on. Construction hours are 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Please see the map below.
- Stage 1: Fern Avenue to La Goma Street (orange in the map below)
- Stage 2: East Blithedale Avenue to Fern Avenue (green in the map below)
Each stage will require two days of full roadway closure, with a total of four days of roadway closures.
- Day one: Grind and remove pavement. All the driveways and crosswalks will receive temporary access ramps.
- Day two: Place the new asphalt pavement.
Paving will occur the next business day after the pavement grinding. If roadway grinding occurs on a Friday, then the following Monday, the roadway will receive the new asphalt pavement.
As current weather forecasts allow, Sycamore Avenue paving will begin Thursday, March 30, 2023. However, this start date is dependent on the weather.
What to expect:
- Work crews will accommodate emergency services as well as limited local access for residents and deliveries. We thank you in advance for your patience as access may be delayed depending on the positions of the asphalt grinder and paving machine.
- Community members should expect traffic delays during the grinding and paving process and surrounding the following intersections on Sycamore Avenue, as heavy machinery will be present in order to perform the work: East Blithedale Avenue, Park Avenue, Fern Avenue, Locust Avenue, and La Goma Street.
- PG&E will not be authorized to close traffic lanes on East Blithedale while Sycamore is being paved.
- After the pavement work, the Contractor will require five additional days to finish the process. This includes digging into the new pavement in select locations to uncover and properly bring up utilities such as manhole lids, natural gas and water valve boxes. Then they will restripe the roadway and intersections. These operations will not require full roadway closures, but motorists should expect some lane closures and traffic controls around the work.
- Please avoid the Sycamore Avenue area as there are limited locations that allow for turning around.
Trees: The Project team has taken precautions to protect the tree roots and limbs of the Sycamore trees throughout the Sycamore Avenue neighborhood.
Parking: Work crews will place “No Parking” signs 72 hours in advance of the planned work. Please park on surrounding streets the night before the closures. Sidewalks will remain accessible.
Who to Contact:
Yann Zsutty – Construction Manager, Coastland