The holiday shopping season is upon us. All of those great deals obtained from Black Friday and Cyber Monday will arrive at our doorsteps, meaning increased opportunities for package theft. Here are some ways to avoid becoming the victim of a package thief:
- If possible, have packages delivered at a time when you are at home. Do not leave packages unattended.
- If you cannot be home to receive them, have your packages delivered to a trusted neighbor, a relative, or your workplace.
- Track your package online so you have the latest information on when to expect delivery.
- Request that the shipper hold your packages at its delivery distribution center for pickup. Some companies offer local locker service for pickup and return.
- Consider installing surveillance cameras as a theft deterrent. Cameras can also help the Mill Valley Police Department with its investigation if a porch pirate targets you.
- Watch for suspicious activity and report it to the Mill Valley Police Department. Thieves have been known to follow delivery trucks for an opportunity to steal packages.