Housing Element Update
The Housing Element is one of the seven required elements (or chapters) of the City's General Plan. Because housing affordability and availability is a critical issue with statewide implications, State law requires Housing Elements to be updated on a regular basis.
The City of Mill Valley is currently part of an 8-year update cycle (2023-2031) and is working to update the Housing Element. The Housing Element Update must be reviewed and certified by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) by January 2023.
Online Survey - stay tuned!
Workshop - November 10, 2021
- Staff Memo:Summary of Site Analysis and Inventory (PDF)
- Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF)
- Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF) - Presentacion en Espanol
- Vidoe of the Workshop: https://youtu.be/079JZYFN-_A
Join the Conversation and our E-mail List
Stay up-to-date on the latest information by signing up for the Housing Element Update Email List.
The City welcomes your input and comments as part of the update process! See below for the series of workshops that will discuss housing needs, policies, sites, and land use plans to support housing opportunities for all income levels in the community during the 8-year planning cycle.
Other upcoming workshop dates:
- February 16, 2022
- March 30, 2022
- Community input received from September 23 - October 18, 2021 (Workshop 1 and Online survey (PDF)
- October 18, 2021 City Council Meeting: Presentation summarizing workshop 1 and online survey (PDF)
- Workshop 1: Watch the zoom video: Presentation; Demographics; trends and housing needs.
- September 1, 2021 City Council Meeting: Discussion of Work Plan, Schedule and General Requirements as part of the Housing Element Update: staff report; presentation; Public Outreach Plan
- Previous Housing Element (2015-2023): Volume 1; Volume 2/ Appendices
- Summary of units built for previous RHNA cycle: Annual Progress Report to City Council 2020 (PDF)
- What is a Housing Element - English Version; Spanish Version
- Frequently Asked Questions
General Plan Goals
The two primary General Plan goals will guide the Housing Element Update process, and are:
- To protect and enhance the natural beauty and small town character of Mill Valley; and
- To encourage continued diversity of housing, income levels and lifestyles in the community. The General Plan community values are intended to guide the overall framework and decision making for the General Plan, and have been updated based on community input and feedback from the General Plan Advisory Committee.