Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI)
This page and subpages will serve as a clearinghouse of DEI-related information and updates for Mill Valley and from community partners and agencies across Marin County.
The City of Mill Valley commits to act and encourage community action towards eliminating racial disparities, both inside government and in the community.
- Operate with Urgency - Work with urgency to accelerate progress towards the City's DEI goals.
- Build Staff and Organizational Capacity - Build existing internal structures and training to augment existing skills and competencies.
- Leverage Existing Resources - Continue momentum and strengthen partnerships with allied organizations and community members.
- Operate with Accountability and Transparency - Commitment to open and public decision-making, to track and report regularly on DEI initiatives, and provide opportunities for input.
- Achieve Goals with Scaled Approach - Focus on efforts that are appropriately scaled and within City jurisdiction.
- Institutional Approach - Work across all City departments and divisions, with a focus on examining existing City policies and procedures to eliminate racial disparities.
See the City of Mill Valley Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Work Plan (PDF).
The Bottom Line
- Acknowledgement - Mill Valley has historically not fulfilled its stated intent to create a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community for people of all racial and socioeconomic backgrounds, including all those who live, work, attend school and visit Mill Valley.
- Action - The City of Mill Valley commits to act and encourage community action towards eliminating racial disparities, both inside government and in the community.
- Accountability - These pages will track and archive the City's DEI initiatives.
Brief Background and Current Status
- On February 18, 2021 Council considered the DEI Work Plan (PDF) prepared by staff in response to the Mill Valley DEI Task Force's Report and Recommendations. Council gave full support to over 40 specific, tactical, actionable, measurable recommendations to meaningfully advance racial equity in Mill Valley.
- After the adoption of the DEI Work Plan, the City Council held 16 public meetings in 10 months to move the DEI initiatives outlined in the Work Plan forward.
- On December 6, 2021, Council accepted staff’s recommendations, which were to:
- Accept status updates for the remaining items in the DEI Work Plan. View the table that tracks the process of each of these recommendations to conclusion (PDF).
- Continue to prioritize racial equity
- Transition: Evolve from a work plan to a new way of operating as a city
- Maintaining accountability through implementation
- Conducting/monitoring assessment on racial equity progress
- Sharing through transparent regular reporting
DEI Public Meetings and Related ResourcesLink to page
The City shares the information below in alignment with our commitment to conduct transparent data collection.Link to page
DEI Tangible Actions
The list of tangible actions details City accomplishments to date.Link to page
Restrictive Covenant Project
Information about the County of Marin's Restrictive Covenant ProjectLink to page