City of Mill Valley's 60th Anniversary Celebration, September 23-25, 1960, in Lytton Square. Mayor Robert Huber on right, Festival Queen Susan Gilfillan on left. The cake was said to have weighed 600 pounds.
Dimitroff's Frame Shop after it moved to its present location on Throckmorton Avenue. Photo from the early 1960s.
R & M Style Shop at the corner of Throckmorton and Bernard, with crowd gathered to see damage caused by car running into store front in 1964. Police Chief Dan Terzich in center.
Picket line during civil rights movement of the 1960s.
The Mill Valley Record office in 1965.
The current Mill Valley Public Library was built in 1966. This is the groundbreaking ceremony early in that year.
The Bank of America in 1967. The building was built in 1911 for the Bank of Mill Valley, which was taken over by the Bank of Italy in 1926, which later changed its name to Bank of America.
Strawberry Point School opened in 1952 with seven classrooms, and four more were added in 1955. Photo 1967. The school was closed in 1990 as school enrollment dropped, but was refurbished and reopened in the Fall of 2000 when the number of school-age children in Mill Valley swelled in the late 1990s.
The Sequoia Theater, now called CineArts at Sequoia, in 1967.
At left is the Little Shop, and at right a beauty shop.
Looking south on Throckmorton Avenue at Miller Avenue in 1967.
Former restaurant being moved from Highway 101 to Camino Alto in 1968, for use as a Rec Center. It was purchased for $1 and was used from 1969 to 1998, when the new Mill Valley Community Center began construction. The Community Center Grand Opening was held on April 7, 2001.
Lytton Square in 1960, the year the redwood trees in the divider on Throckmorton Avenue were planted. See late 1960s photo of similar view below.
View of Lytton Square in the late 1960s. Note the size of the redwood trees, which were planted at the beginning of this decade (see the first photo above).
The start of the Dipsea Race.
Last updated: 1/16/2008 12:21:41 PM