The Depression and the automobile took their toll on the Mt Tamalpais & Muir Woods Railway, and the last train came down the mountain in 1930. Here, workers tear up the defunct trains' tracks in 1930.
Old Mill School c. 1930, before the playground was built.
Old Mill School girls' baseball team, May 26, 1930.
The Eastland Bakery, Mill Valley's first bakery, in the 1930s.
Park School c. 1932.
Construction of the Golden Gate Bridge looking toward Marin County, May, 1934. The north tower is completed and the south is being built. The bridge opened to automobile traffic on May 28, 1937.
Dedication ceremonies for Mill Valley's new City Hall at 26 Corte Madera Avenue, August 1, 1936.
Ruth and Ralston White, builders of the Garden of Allah, in 1936.
Esposito's Soda Fountain in 1936. It lasted until 1964, when La Ginestra Restaurant opened in its place.
The serpentine rocks were carried up Mt Tam and shaped into seats for patrons of the Mountain Play by the Depression era Civilian Conservation Corps, pictured here in 1937.
Northwestern Pacific passenger train stopping at Tamalpais High School, 1937. The electric third rail is this side of the car. The Mill Valley passenger trains ended their run in September, 1940.
Northwestern Pacific railroad tracks going through Mill Valley, near Miller Avenue, in 1938. This right-of-way was later paved over to create the multi-use path.
West Point Inn on Mt Tamalpais in the late 1930s. Passengers got off the train here and took the trail at left to the Mountain Theater.
Last updated: 1/16/2008 11:34:49 AM