The first Mill Valley Depot in the downtown area, c. 1894. It was located where Lomita and Ashford Avenues now meet, about eighty yards south of its later (and present) location. The fireman, H. Westcott, is in white overalls. Jack Brady, the conductor, is third from the left. O. Collister, the station agent, is the short, bearded man in doorway (3rd from right) and his son is in front nearest the rails. Mill Valley was also called Eastland in those days.
The 1894 class photo of Summit School, one of Mill Valley's earliest schools.
In the lower half of this photo is downtown Mill Valley before the turn of the twentieth century (c. 1895). Lovell is the street running left to right in the foreground, with the larger Throckmorton Avenue running nearly parallel. Left and right streets are Bernard and Madrona. The large house on the left, at the corner of Bernard and Lovell, is the 1891 McInnis House, still standing. Also still standing is the Daybreak House, up the hill on the right center of the photo.
Looking up Blithedale Road, now East Blithedale Avenue, from Alto, c. 1896.
The first Mt Tamalpais & Muir Woods Railway train to go up Mount Tamalpais, August 26, 1896.
View of the Mill Valley Depot from Sunnyside Avenue, c. 1896. The old station is at the left, behind the Mt Tamalpais Railway passenger car. The station at right was used by both the North Pacific Coast Railroad and Mt Tamalpais & Muir Woods Railway.
May Day festivals were the largest school celebrations of the era. This one is at Grethel Hall, c. 1898.
Blithedale Hotel, the first hotel in Mill Valley, was built by Dr. John S. Cushing in 1873 and opened initially as a sanitarium. When Cushing died in 1879 it closed briefly and reopened as a hotel. In 1912 the main hotel building was demolished and the land was subdivided into 70 choice lots. Some of the original hotel cottages still stand today. Photo c. 1899.
Looking up Miller Avenue, c. 1899 Tamalpais High School is now to the left of the lower part of the photo. The Jacob Gardner home, The Maples, is the lower of the two houses in the distance. Because only one track was laid between the main line at Almonte Station and the branch line to the Mill Valley depot (and there was no turntable at the depot), trains would run backwards on their return trip. To the left of the horseback rider on Miller Avenue is approximately where KFC stands today.
Last updated: 1/15/2008 4:23:53 PM