This month the Mill Valley Fire Department Public Safety message:
Clothes Dryer Safety
The leading cause of home clothes dryer and washer fires is failure to clean them.
• Have your dryer installed and serviced by a professional.
• Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
• Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum.
• Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
• Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry, clean lint out of the vent pipe or have a dryer lint removal service do it for you.
• Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
• Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
• Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and don’t overload your dryer.
• Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.
For information on Clothes Dryer Safety tips, please click here.
To view a Dryer Fire video, please click here.
Tips for additional evacuation preparations using Steps, Lanes and Paths:
Keep your eyes out for the Blue Evacuation Logos on the pavement. They can be found at the pedestrian routes to direct residents towards downtown Mill Valley. Remember, there may be more then one safe route out of your neighborhood.
Please click here for Evacuation information and map.
When disaster strikes residents may be asked to evacuate their homes to evacuation assembly areas. If you hear emergency warning sirens check local TV and radio stations for evacuation information and instructions. Do not call 911. Please click here for Emergency Planning.
Please click here for additional information regarding Emergency Preparedness.
If you have any questions regarding disaster preparation, first aid and city services, please call the Mill Valley Fire Department at 415-389-4130.