Placing a hold on a title is a great way to get Library materials when they're not available immediately. You can line up for the next available copy for free if the item is picked up at the Mill Valley Public Library. A reshelving fee of $0.50 will be charged if a requested item is not picked up or an item is picked up at another library (children's titles placed on hold using a child's Library card
are free). Note: Please do not be alarmed if you make a request to have materials picked up at Mill Valley and see a fine added to your record. The MARINet catalog automatically processes the hold fee but we will waive the fine manually during processing.
Some Mill Valley items cannot be placed on hold including Zoe's Picks, DVDs, Children's Books on CD, and In-Demand Books.
You can call the Reference Librarian at 415-389-4292 x203 and we'll place holds for you over the phone. You can also place holds yourself but you need a valid library card and a PIN
. Self-Service Holds
- Bring the exact item you want on to the screen.
- Once you see the screen that lists the libraries that own that item, click the "Request" button near the top of the screen.
- You will be prompted for your name, barcode (which is the library card number on the back of the card), and your PIN.
- If you don't have a PIN, you can assign yourself one on the spot. Just enter what you'd like your PIN to be in the "Enter Your Pin" box. You'll be asked to re-enter your library card and then your PIN again twice.
- Don't forget to click to drop down box and indicate where you would like the item delivered.
If you want demonstration, look at the video from MARINet
Pick up your own holds. We notify you by email (or postal mail if you don't provide an email address) when your hold is ready to pick up. Don't wait for the post office to deliver your notice: participate in the "Green Looks Good
" campaign and add your email address to your Library account right now!Self-Service Checkout
Use the Self-Checkout Machine to check out DVDs, books, videos, CDs, and all other library materials.