To reflect the Mill Valley community’s enduring interest in the arts, the Mill Valley Public Library is dedicated to providing a free gallery program where both established and emerging local artists can show their work on a monthly or quarterly basis. Since September of 2005, the Library has participated in the Mill Valley Art Walk, a program that occurs on the first Tuesday of every month to highlight artwork at a wide variety of venues throughout Mill Valley.
As an institution that serves all of Mill Valley, the Mill Valley Public Library will focus on presenting exhibitions that meet (but are not limited to) one or more of the following criteria (Please note that all decisions regarding the acceptance of artwork for display in the Library are at the final discretion of the Exhibitions Coordinator):
- Work shows a high level of skill in both concept and execution;
- Work is of potential interest and enjoyment to the community;
- Work relates to the San Francisco Bay Area, including but not limited to artists who reside in the Bay Area, or artwork that focuses on Bay Area communities or environs;
- Work is inspired by the Library’s collections and resources, or is related to the particular focus of the Library by highlighting the library’s collections, programs, and services.
We also accept shows from groups of artists. Groups are asked to submit:
- A show proposal, including photos of potential works,
- Information about the concept or theme of the show and the medium,
- Information about the group, including a designated contact person.
We ask that potential artists agree to the following:
- Artwork must be two-dimensional in form, framed, and able to hang on a wall using the hanging system currently in place at the library. Nail holes are not permitted.
- Artist is responsible for any descriptive labels accompanying the work, including sales price. All labels must either be attached to work, or fastened to the wall with a non-damaging method, such as adhesive putty.
- Any financial transactions will be done off-site and will not involve the Mill Valley Public Library.
- Artist is responsible for any promotion and reception details, including reception set-up, breakdown and cleanup. No hot food is allowed.
- The Library does not insure artworks and assumes no liability in case of damage or theft.
- We ask that each artist or group sign an agreement at least three weeks before installing the show.
- We ask that the artist provide an artist’s statement and digital photos of the artwork and/or artist(s) we can use to promote the exhibition in the library and online.
Last updated: 6/24/2013 10:47:14 AM