City of Mill Valley and Mill Valley City Council Mission Statements
The mission of the City of Mill Valley is to provide a full range of municipal services to residents and businesses in accordance with the general plan and City Council policy and direction. City staff shall deliver those services in an efficient, effective and courteous manner with a commitment to operational excellence.
The mission of the Mill Valley City Council is to serve faithfully the residents and businesses of Mill Valley and nurture the City’s overall quality of life. The Council does this by setting policy for the City and direction for Mill Valley’s City Manager and its Boards and Commissions, at all times guided by values core to Mill Valley’s heritage.
The health and safety of residents.
Preservation of a vibrant community that respects Mill Valley’s small town character.
Prudent fiscal policies and practices.
Preservation of the community’s high quality of life
A healthy natural environment with emphasis on conservation, open space, climate protection and sustainability.
A balanced, inclusive, and open approach to policy-making and city leadership.
Citizen participation that promotes open communication, mutual respect, and the development of community leaders.
Economic vitality with an emphasis on small and local serving businesses.
- Emergency preparedness with a focus on fire, flood and earthquake.
- Environmental conservation and sustainability, with a focus on climate protection.
- Land use and housing – residential and commercial development with emphasis on affordable housing for workforce, elderly, and low-income residents at a scale and density consistent with Mill Valley's character.
- Traffic mitigation, multimodal transportation and parking.
- Infrastructure maintenance and enhancement.
- Attraction and retention of local serving businesses.
- Budget management and mitigating fiscal impacts of the state and local economy.
- Effective two way communication between City staff/Council and the community.
- Excellence in customer service.
- Cultivation of community leadership and citizen participation on government commissions, boards and committees.
Mill Valley City Council 2014-15 Priority Projects:
- General Plan Implementation: 1) Housing Element implementation---Zoning Ordinance amendments and Multi-family Design Review Guidelines development, 2) Adopt a General Plan Policy and Program Implementation Schedule, 3) Adopt a 2014-2022 Housing Element, 4) Appoint and begin Sub-committee assignments, and 5) Align the City’s Core Values to coincide with those generated by adoption of MV2040.
- Miller Avenue Streetscape Project - Develop and adopt: 1) Financing Plan, 2) Implementation Plan, 3) Interim Improvement Plan, 4) Initiate interim improvements, 5) Execute construction contract and 6) Initiate immediate improvements and Pilot Projects.
- Implement further OPEB funding approaches.
- Develop and adopt a long-term Financial Plan.
- Move forward with the Parking Advisory Committee recommendations, especially regarding pursuing the next generation of parking meters for Downtown.
- Complete established Capital Improvement Projects. Place special emphasis on completion of the Downtown Restroom project in 2015.
- Develop and implement a strategy for renewal of the Municipal Services Tax.
- Advance the Watershed Management and Flood Control projects.
- Pursue Environmental Sustainability initiatives: Water conservation efforts, Zero Waste policies, EVC Stations, Waste Water system improvements (sewer lateral inspection program), and expansion of Smoking Regulations to include Multi-family housing.
- Customer Service evaluation.
- Pursue further community outreach and education around traffic conditions as well as options for circulation improvement.
Last updated: 11/23/2015 1:41:42 PM