Click here to view a video of the
Curbside Compost Pick-Up Service Seminar
recorded September 21, 2010 by
Green Planet Films
Curbside Compost Pick-Up Service
Mill Valley Refuse Service and the Redwood Landfill and Recycling Center will provide curbside compost pick-up service to Mill Valley residents, starting August 1, 2010. Food scrap composting is immensly beneficial to the environment; it plays an important role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions and landfill demand.
Here are some components of the program:
- Food scraps can be mixed with green waste in green cans.
- Green cans will be picked up weekly.
- The items that can be picked up for composting include vegetable and fruit scraps, as well as meat, bones and food-soiled paper.
- No glass, plastic, metal, foam, liquids, waxed cardboard, pet waste, or diapers are allowed in the compost program.
- Glass, plastic, metal, and paper should continue to be placed in the blue recycle bins.
- Mill Valley Refuse Service customers can offset the small monthly rate increase to cover the costs of this program by downsizing their trash can from a 45 to a 32 gallon or from a 32 gallon to a 20 gallon bin. Bins are available at local hardware stores. Residents should then call Mill Valley Refuse Service at 457-9760 to notify them of the change.
There are many options for counter-top receptacles which hold food scraps before transporting them to the green can. Many of these counter-top compost holders are available at local hardware and retail stores.
More information about the compost program can be found at Mill Valley Refuse Service website.
Download the Food Scrap Recycling Info Sheet
Last updated: 7/27/2011 11:23:05 AM