Named for Albert Miller, Miller Avenue runs almost two miles from downtown to the marshlands past Tam High to Almonte Blvd. Miller was on the Board of Directors for the Tamalpais Land & Water Company, the organization responsible for planning part of the town and organizing the first land auction. The North Pacific Coast Railroad train ran service into Mill Valley, with the first station located where Sunnyside Avenue meets Miller Avenue today. From 1896 to 1929, Miller Avenue was part of the Mt. Tamalpais Scenic Railway alignment, an 8.25 mile route to the summit of Mount Tamalpais.
While the street has undergone many changes since it was first laid out in the 1890s with new speed limits, and parking and roadway alterations, Miller Avenue has continued to function as one of the two main arterials into and out of Mill Valley.
Incremental roadway improvements along Miller Avenue include:
• 1940’s: Passenger rail service stopped and Greyhound bus service started. Median parking was installed near Willow Street;
• 1950’s: Railroad tracks eliminated in 1955. Miller Avenue from Reed to Camino Alto realigned with a wide median strip over the previous railroad right of way;
• 1970’s: Frontage roads were added to the outbound areas between Locust and Evergreen Avenues;
• 1980’s: Median parking was added from Evergreen to Reed;
• 1990’s: Spot repairs and repaving in 1992 from Locust to Almonte and Sunnyside to Millwood; and
• 2000’s: Slurry seal added from Sunnyside to Millwood in 2007. Currently, the City is constructing path-of-travel improvements for the bus stop in front of Tamalpais High School on Miller Avenue. The improvements include sidewalk modifications from the crosswalk at the Camino Alto intersection to Gomez Way. This new construction will tie into the roadway and access improvements recently made at Tamalpais High School.
Click here, for historic photographs of Miller Avenue. These images are also on display at the Library across from the History Room.
Last updated: 6/2/2010 2:47:48 PM