Miller Avenue is a central corridor serving multiple uses for residents and visitors of Mill Valley. The avenue is also recognized as an essential source of community character – embodying the unique features of this town and the natural beauty of Mount Tamalpais. As such, the Miller Avenue Streetscape Project will balance the need of safety improvements with streetscape amenities while preserving its character, history and beauty.
Streetscape Plan Primary Goals:
~ Improve multi-modal transportation
~ Preserve and enhance ecology and landscape
Streetscape Plan Secondary Goals:
~ Recognize cultural features and character
~ Repair Infrastructure
Technical studies completed in 2013 include topographic, boundary, and utility surveys, pavement distress survey, exploration and testing of subsurface soils, pavement deflection testing, and video inspection and modeling of sanitary sewer system.
Timeline of recent events and projected upcoming milestones:
- March 2013 – City Council authorization of contract for design services, financing plan and phasing plan services. Present interim improvement plan.
- February 2014 – Initial briefing and an update on design progress, construction cost estimates, phasing and project options presented to City Council. Formation of Streetscape Project committee (Mayor, Vice Mayor, City Manager, Director of DPW, Finance Director and Design Consultant).
- July 2014 – Award consultant for interim improvements. City Council approval of streetscape components, financing, and phasing plan.
- Summer 2014 – Present financing, and phasing plan to City Council. Conduct interim improvements on Miller Avenue to include bike facility improvements, and test back-in angle parking.
- September 2014 – City Council kick-off ceremony and acknowledgement of interim improvements.
- Summer/Fall 2014 and ongoing – Implement an outreach strategy with residents and businesses to receive input on details, options and accommodations for streetscape improvements.
- Summer/Fall 2014 – Coordination with public utility companies for relocation and upgrades of infrastructure.
- Fall/Winter 2014/2015 – Public utility construction and final Miller Avenue Streetscape Design.
- Fall 2015 – Begin Miller Avenue Streetscape Improvements.
- Late 2017 – Improvements complete.
To learn more:
On Monday, February 3, 2014, the Mill Valley City Council received a preliminary introductory presentation on the Miller Avenue Streetscape Project Implementation Plan. The intention of this initial overview was to provide the Council with an informal update on the project and for the Council to offer initial input and direction prior to a formal public presentation in the spring.
Download the meeting documents:
Stay informed by checking the City website and signing up for electronic notifications of travel conditions and alerts.
- Sign up for eNews and select the "Miller Avenue Streetscape Project" button.
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/miller_ave for updates, alerts and news.
- Bookmark this page and visit often for construction schedules, updates, maps, and more.
|Miller Avenue Business Survey|
Is your business on or near Miller Avenue? This project will impact your business operations, customers, employees, and delivery services with traffic delays and parking restrictions. City staff will make every effort to minimize impacts to the businesses community – but they need your help.
City staff is in the process of writing the construction plan and budgeting for this important project, and now is the time to give them input and feedback on your needs. City engineers need to know about you, your business, and any special accommodations that you may need, such as special provisions for noise, parking, path of travel, and hours of operation.
Please take a moment to fill out the Miller Avenue Business Survey. Thank you!